40% of men die prematurely. Why are we only just starting to discuss this phenomenon and what can we do about it?
Men are often reluctant to address or discuss their health. Research tells us that men often avoid seeking help until their health has deteriorated severely, by which point their condition may be untreatable. According to a survey by insurance firm Insureblue, one in five men has not seen a doctor in the past three years. Just scratch the surface of men’s health and you will discover some worrying statistics:
- 1 in 5 men die before 65
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer
- 1 in 36 men will die from prostate cancer 75% of premature deaths caused by heart disease are male
- 1 in 8 men have experienced a mental health problem
- In the UK, 13 men commit suicide everyday
So, what can we do about this? We can start by keeping an eye on the men in our life and look out for those who may be suffering in silence and encourage them to ask for help. Education and awareness is key and Make Me Feel is here to help.
At Make Me Feel, we are running a monthly Men’s only Health Clinic where we are offering a 30 minute consultation with Dr Caroline Longmore at a reduced rate of £35. During the assessment, Dr Caroline will:
- Test Cholesterol
- Measure blood pressure
- Discuss a wide range of health issues including: cancer risk, heart disease, depression, anxiety, energy level and overall health
- Session also includes information handouts and referrals where needed
Don’t wait until it is too late. With regular check ups there is no reason that men should have to suffer a premature illness.