By Caroline Harper, Homeopath
I first started to suffer from hayfever when I was a teenager. Every springtime would herald the arrival of itchy eyes and a streaming nose which I tried to treat with anti-histamines. But they would always leave me feeling so drowsy that some days I would fall asleep anywhere and at anytime. In my twenties I started seeing a homeopath and my hayfever symptoms improved tremendously, no more itchy eyes, no more runny nose.
As a homeopath, I now see many patients who suffer from those same debilitating symptoms of hayfever and allergic rhinitis. By far the best approach is to follow a preventative homeopathic treatment which takes place in the late winter months, before the usual hayfever season begins. But if this has not been possible, it’s never too late and the use of homeopathy during the season is still effective. Below is a list of homeopathic remedies that can be really useful to alleviate your hayfever symptoms. Each remedy relates to specific symptoms so you can choose which one fits you the best.
- ARSENICUM – for burning symptoms
Eyes: burning eyes with acrid tears, or burning dry eyes. Swelling around the eyes.
Nose: thin, watery discharge from nose that burns the lip, sore nostrils. Sneezing brings no relief.
Throat: burning throat, with a dry irritating cough.
- ALLIUM CEPA – when the nose runs like a tap
Nose: profuse watery nasal discharge causing very sore nostrils and upper lip. Severe frequent sneezing especially when entering a warm room.
Eyes: red eyes, teary, streaming eyes.
Throat: tickling in the throat which makes you want to scratch inside.
- EUPHRASIA – with very itchy eyes
Eyes: swollen, red, burning, gritty eyes with continuous burning discharge (may also be thick). Swollen eyelids.
Nose: profuse, clear, watery nasal discharge.
- NUX VOMICA – for stuffy nose
Nose: stuffy and irritated nose with noisy breathing that is worse during the night, and runny nose during the day. Severe bouts of sneezing especially in the morning.
Eyes: smarting eyes, sensitive to light. Bloodshot eyes.
Throat: itchy larynx and inner ear.
- NAT MUR – for a runny nose that drip back into the throat
Nose: profuse nasal discharge (stringy like egg white) that drip back in the throat. Violent sneezing. Hayfever with cold sores.
Eyes: watery, burning discharge from the eyes. Sore eyes that are sensitive to light.
- SABADILLA – with persistant sneezing
Nose: persistant violent sneezing with runny or dry nose. Alternate nostrils are blocked. Intense itching and tickling in nose.
Eyes: red and burning eyelids with burning tears.
Throat: numbness sensation in the throat with a strong desire to scratch it.
There are many other tips you can follow to alleviate the misery of hayfever:
- Take the antioxidant Quercetin and Vitamin C.
- Avoid exposure to cigarette smoke and car exhaust.
- Keep rugs, carpets, stuffed animals and upholstered furniture clean.
- Air your clothes outside.
- Put the dryer on quickly so that mold does not accumulate.
- Keep your windows closed during the spring / summer at the beginning and the end of the day, when the pollen starts rising outside.
- Avoid pro-inflammatory foods and foods that are mucus producing such as dairy, yeast, and sugar.
- Avoid foods you are intolerant to.
- Euphrasia eye drops can be soothing
- Nasal douching with saline solution
Caroline Harper BsC(Hons) LCHE MCMA BA(Hons)
Make Me Feel pharmacy