ANTONIA X GALLINEE – Date & Chocolate Bars
Gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
• 40grams of Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
• 250ml pure maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 200grams rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
• 175grams mixed nuts – almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews
• 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
• 2 tablespoons flax seeds
• 100grams dark chocolate, chopped
• a generous pinch of sea salt
Heat the oven to 180C and prepare a (roughly 8 x 4inch) tray by greasing or lining with baking parchment.
Place the dates and maple syrup in a small pan and warm on medium to high heat, allow to boil, stirring often for around 8 – 10 minutes until the dates are soft and reduced. Add the coconut oil until melted.
Mash the date and maple syrup mix with a fork until as smooth as possible. You could also use a food processor.
Toss the oats, nuts, seeds, chocolate and salt together in a large bowl. Add the maple date mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
Press firmly into the lined pan to compress it as much as possible.
Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until it has darkened slightly and has firm edges.
Allow cooling thoroughly on a wire rack before slicing.